Wednesday, March 24, 2010

POLICE, adjective

Friday, March 19, 2010


As we all know, Friday night is movie night.  Or at least that's the case for those of us who have no children and are under the age of 25.  Seeing as how I still fit into one of those categories I was in the mood to venture out.  I set out with two requirements: I wanted a beer and I wanted to laugh.  Only one of those was fulfilled.  After quickly researching San Antonio theaters that served adult refreshments I remembered a recommendation a friend had given me a few weeks back.  She told me that the Bijou theater was the only one in San Antonio that regularly featured independent films.  "Hey," I thought, "I like independent films."  Fortunately, Bijou Cinema is also a bistro.  Beer?  Check!  The film they were playing was far from a comedy but it wasn't mainstream either, which was a plus. Sometimes, I'm just not down with mainstream anything and want something a little more personal.  A bit left-of-center.  The Romanian moving picture was titled "POLICE, adjective."  It has won multiple awards for blah blah blah and was heralded as some film festival's yadda yadda yadda.  I didn't employ time uselessly reading reviews.  Films should win awards because they are good, not be considered good simply because they've won awards.  And everyone's "good" is different.  I didn't want to be conditioned to like the film or even be conditioned to want to like it.  Saw it. Liked it. Didn't love it. Liked it. I enjoyed my perfectly chilled Guinness.  I even enjoyed hearing elements of four distinct languages that comprise the Romanian language.  Tonight was just what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment