Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Police and The Private

Saturday, March 20, 2010

The highlight of today was definitely the private party that Lauren and I were invited to by our friends Christina and Andy Quan (pictured).  Little did I know that it was actually a wedding reception until I arrived.  Maybe I just wasn't paying attention beforehand. Nah, that almost never happens.  The reception was held in Jourdanton, Texas, a small town that is an all-too-typical small town. (there's a reason i'm mentioning this) The music at the party was great and all of the guests were very friendly.  I danced for the first time in too long and had a lot of fun with Lauren and the Quans.  By the end of the night, I was ready to go home and crash.  But first I would need to watch highlights of the Kentucky-Wake Forest game.  "We" had won again (by 30) so I was in a great mood until...
I saw the lights of a Jourdanton PD squad car behind me. I was being pulled over for "having a headlight out."  Note to Reader: The daytime running lamps were operational, but the driver's side low-beam was out.  Light was being emitted from both headlights with one side being slightly dimmer.  Officer Bumpkin only gave me a warning for the headlight but cited me for failing to get a Texas driver's license.  I will admit that I am guilty of that.  I tried once and found out that I needed my passport.  I tried again and there was at least a 4-hour wait time.  Lauren can attest that this is no exaggeration.  There are few things I dislike about Texas but the license ordeal is one of them.  First of all, all out-of-staters are required to switch over their licenses within the first 30 days of their newfound residency.  Second, you don't receive a new license on the spot.  Instead, they give you a piece of paper.  A voucher, more or less, that is devoid of any photo and only has your signature to prove that you are who you say you are.  Come on Texas.  Seriously?  Why you ask?  Well it's because every driver's license application is processed in Austin.  That's right, one of the largest states in the country diverts all application traffic to one city for the entire state. Oh, and did I mention that the Texas licenses are hideous?  Just sayin'.  Officer Bumpkin (Rutherford) proceeded to hand me my citation and wish me a good evening.  I drove off into the night, calm with fury, but refusing to let such a petty act ruin my evening. Oh, and if you're wondering about the name of this post, it's actually the title of a song of one of my favorite Indie bands.  The message of the song doesn't relate to my day, but the title certainly does.  Have a listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment