Friday, March 19, 2010

"Say You're Done With Them"

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I began reading "Say You're One Of Them" in early January of this year.  It was my casual read for our cruise.  However, this collection of short stories is anything but casual.   Five short stories are told from the perspective of children facing various crises throughout different African countries.  There are no spoiler alerts here because, honestly, there's not much to spoil.  To date, this has been my most disappointing read but I cannot bring myself to call it a bad book.  It is well-written with subject matter that figures to be relevant for years to come.  Despite being a piece of fiction, the stories are based on real world events and/or scenarios.  However, first-time author Uwem Akpan failed to draw me in.  There was never a point in the book where I felt like I couldn't put it down.  I can't stand not finishing books and that's the main (see: only) reason I pushed through this one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment